About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Reality Bites - a repost from 360

Obsession? Escapism? Or, is it just our desire to see people humiliated, demeaned, and driven to extremes?

What am I talking about?

Reality TV, of course.

It’s near impossible to browse the airwaves on a given night without coming across people vying for some prize or another. There is even a satellite channel devoted to this burgeoning genre.
Reality shows have come and gone, but some of the forebears remain…Survivor, Big Brother, and the Amazing Race. These are the scions of the “let’s win us some money” branch of reality shows.

Another branch is the “I have talent. Really, I do. And if I don’t, I still hope to get my 30 seconds of fame” contests. These include America’s Got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance, and the most successful of all reality shows…American Idol.

Of course, there are also the completely ludicrous but highly entertaining “reality” shows…Who Wants To Be A Superhero? (One of my favorite shows, for it exhibits the absolute best in stupidity and escapism).

But there is another branch that catches my attention more than any other…
I call it the “I know what kind of career I want and winning could give it a HUGE boost.” America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, Top Chef, Hell’s Kitchen, Next Food Network Star, Top Design, Shear Genius all fall into this category. There are some of these that I have to admit a great love. I find shows that take things like clothing design and cooking allow me to see the creative process from conceptualization to execution. Often I am blown away by what some of these people can do.

Still…I think there is plenty of room for new entries into the genre.
Wouldn’t you just love to see some of THESE shows?

Top Trash – Americans compete in the ultimate garbage challenge. Trash talking ensues as
wannabe civil servants vie for the position of Chief Trash Collector of NYC.

Who Wants To Be A Recycler? – Contestants are given various challenges in keeping with the theme Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. The winner is given a job as caretaker of Al Gore’s multi-million dollar home in Tennessee.

America’s Next Best Selling Author – Aspiring writers face quick fire and elimination challenges proposed by some of America’s most famous authors. Judges include Gore Vidal, Nan Talese, and Stephen King. The winner receives a contract for three novels to be published by Random House and a guaranteed slot on Oprah’s Book of the Month.

I Can Write Songs, Too – Ditties come to life. Torch songs flourish. In this offshoot, contestant battle time and each other to become the next great songwriter. Barry Manilow hosts this show, while Carole Bayer Sager, Burt Bacharach, and Sir Elton John judge the winner, who will be paired with the next winner of American Idol to write songs for their debut album.
None of these compares with my favorite…

TOP SURGEON!

Hosted by Dr. Robert Jarvik, recent graduates from some of the top medical schools in the country vie for the position of Chief Surgeon at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. Can’t you just see it…
Dr. Jarvik: Good morning, contestants. For today’s quick fire challenge, you will be performing an emergency tracheotomy.
{The contestants look at each other with knowing confidence.}
Dr. Jarvik: BUT…there is a catch. You must perform the surgery with an every day household item.
{An aide dressed in scrubs wheels in a stainless steel cart.}
Dr. Jarvik walks over to the cart and pulls away a cloth, revealing these implements utensils: Bic pen, Refrigerator Tubing, and other “right tools for the right job,” as my grandfather used to say.
{The contestants gasp in unison.}
Dr. Jarvik: You will have 5 minutes to complete this challenge, starting…NOW!
{Curtains part and patients are seen lying in hospital beds, waiting}

No comments: