About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Alphabet Soup

Here is a little glimpse into my world through the ABCs of life.
A is for arthritis, which is in my back and neck. Pain is something that I live with each and every day. All I can do is continue to push through it…Hence, softball.

B is for bowling. I used to be a very good bowler. I even have a perfect game to my credit.

C is for choirboy. All through elementary school and high school I sang in choirs. I love choral music. Last year, my oldest brother surprised me at Christmas with a CD that he had digitally transferred from an old album of my high school choir’s Christmas music. Boy, did that bring back memories.

D is for David, my name. It’s one of those names that allows for various permutations. I have gone by Dave, David, D. Michael, D.M. until finally settling in on an appreciation of David. Though really, I will answer to anything other than Davy. Only one person ever got away with calling me that…but that’s another story.

E is for Eugene, OR. I lived there for one year. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If ever given the chance, I would retire there. The sense of déjà vu that I experience in that part of the country is amazing.

F is for family. It means so much to me. That’s the main reason for me to be living in Florida…nearness to my brother and mother.

G is for Greyhound. Go Greyhound! And leave the driving to us. NEVER AGAIN! After more than 3 days on buses from Eugene, OR to Tampa, FL, I will never again set foot on a bus. You truly meet the dregs of society.

H is for home. I am a nester. It doesn’t take long after moving for me to decorate, put things in their place, and turn a house into a home.

I is for inseam. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a 29” inseam in pants?

J is for jury duty. I’ve being stuck on the jury for a murder trial. OMG!

K is for keepsakes. I really don’t have too many things anymore that have been passed down from generation to generation. Mostly, I have a couple of individual pieces of kitchenware that I got when my grandmother died. My keepsakes lean more toward the old family pictures that grace our walls.

L is for Leo, my zodiac sign. Enough said.

M is for martinis and margaritas. Enough said.

N is for nuance. Life is filled with intricacies. Doors open. Doors close. Subtle changes in atmosphere surround. A wink, a nod, and a grin…each witness to the language of the body and the soul.

O is for opera. I have a great love for opera. I also have/had a voice that lent itself well to the medium. It was good enough to be considered for the Chicago Conservatory of Music. Sadly, my parents didn’t have the funds to make that a reality.

P is for platinum…as in a nice little band with sapphires for the ring finger on my left hand. (key wedding music, please)

Q is for queer. That’s how I identify as a gay man. And no, I did not misspell it.

R is for rheumatic fever. I contracted this disease as a child. It held me back from physical activity for many years. It turned me into a loner when I couldn’t join the other kids for recess.

S is for sewing. My ex-wife taught me and I went on to sew dresses for her and lounge pants for myself. Some day I will pull out the machine Thom brought and maybe put together some window treatments or pillows.

T is for tiffany, as in lamps. When Thom was showing me pics of his stuff so we could decide what he should move down here, I jumped at the chance to bring his tiffany lamps into our décor. I have always been a fan of stained glass…honey, where is that studio you’re going to use?

U is for Ultimate Frisbee….aside from softball it is easily my favorite sport. If only I were 10 years younger and 40 lbs lighter.

V is for voice. When I turned 40, I began to feel a voice rising from the depths of my being. That voice has found resonance in my writing. Maybe some day my voice will be heard by millions, rather than the select few.

W is for Wisconsin. Our family vacations were always to the north woods for a week of fishing. And I do mean fishing…morning, afternoon, and night.

X is for the X-factor…the unknown. In Buddhist philosophy it is prudent to live in “don’t know.” In this way, you meet the future with open arms.

Y is for youth group leader at church. Ever been in charge of middle school age kids? Ever done a lock-in Halloween party in the school? Ever feel like you have been through the wringers? Ever seen the face of kids light up when you offer to play wiffle ball with them? It’s all in the joy of mentoring.

Z is for zoologist. It was my dream as a kid to work at a zoo. Somewhere along the line that dream fell by the wayside.

2 comments:

joetalk said...

Yes, I know how hard it is to find a 29" inseam!!!! I have the torso of a 6'2" man and the legs of a 5'5" man . . . it sucks!!! I thought I was the only one with short legs! :)

Wendy said...

What a fun post, David. I didn't know you had been married. If you had sewn dresses for me, I doubt I would have let you go. :-)

I'll continue reading!