About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Return of the Native or Imaginative

Where has the time gone? It doesn’t seem that three months have passed since I last put thoughts to keyboard and posted something of merit on this page. Major holidays have swept passed with the speed of passersby on a city street. I’ve failed to chronicle Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the beginning of a New Year.

Is there significance in my writing on this particular holiday (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)? No, it just happens that the bank is closed and Thom is stuck working. So I am here alone with projects to be done around the house and a serious lack of ambition to accomplish any of them. So instead, I will offer up for you a list of thoughts, occurrences, and ambitions from the last three months.

HOLIDAYS – Halloween was a bust. Neither Thom nor I had the energy to be fabulous. Nor did we have the desire to attend the neighborhood street fair that was attended by more than 20,000 revelers (we could hear them until at least 2am through our open windows). Thanksgiving was spent with friends, of course only after watching the Macy’s Parade. For Christmas, we eschewed Disney and hosted friends and family for a scrumptious get together.

BK FLAMER – Before the holidays Burger King introduces a product they hoped would compete with Axe body spray—BK FLAME. Advertisements showed the Burger King king naked by the fire, covered only by a bearskin rug. The ad was disturbing to say the least. The king is one of the scariest promotional characters ever created and conjures but one image for me…pedophilia. What were they thinking?!

TAPS – My laptop died on New Year’s Day. The trauma was complete when Geek Squad could do nothing to recover my data. Stupidly, my last full backup was back in October (see, this page isn’t the only thing I’ve neglected) so much was lost. But hearken…there is a brand-spanking new HP on the way.

DIVERSIONS – I’ve found a couple of new ways to occupy my time and avoid what really needs to be done…Geni.com and Facebook. Now, since many of you are already on Facebook, I won’t go into too much detail other than the joy and surprise of re-connecting with people I haven’t had contact with in up to 30 years. As for Geni, it is a fantastic site where you can compile your family tree and have it accessible for editing to anyone in the family. Great for gathering info and storing family pics.

HANG-UPS – With much sadness, I have retired from playing and coaching softball. The pain in my back is such that I just can’t continue. I can’t describe how difficult walking away from something I love is for me. It easily would have been a full blog of its own, but I just couldn’t bring myself to write it.

MOVING FORWARD – We just set up a new writing space for me in the condo. So hopefully that ever-in-progress novel will get some attention during 2009. I really need to do something to better utilize my time, and escape from the horrors of my job… *NOTE TO SELF* GET A NEW JOB…

Until next time, my lovelies…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave! It's so nice to see you again. I loved all the Flickr pictures you posted.

Sorry to hear your back isn't cooperating and that you can't keep up with softball anymore. Keep your eyes open to new things, and maybe you'll find a new door open for you. I'll be thinking of you!

jainey said...

geez! i'm glad i made it to the right tournament then! i'm pained to hear about the retirement though. i know how much it all means to you.

i will have to make a proper visit with you guys though... that didn't really count....

joetalk said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by that BK ad . . .

Sorry to hear about the sball retirement, but looking forward to that novel . . .

take care hon . . . jj:)

Claire Uncorked said...

YAY!! I'm so glad everything's going well for you..sans the back, that is. I can only imagine how hard that was for you.

I didn't see this BK ad...I love that I can skip through commercials with my DVR, I might've lost sleep over that one!

Don't feel bad about not blogging. I'd love to blog more, but I don't always have the time, energy, or inspiration.

Nilla said...

Lawdy Lawdy...I love how you write! I was so glad to open up your page and see a NEW entry, it was like getting to the prize at the bottom a Cracker Jacks Box. I am still giggling over the BK Flamer advert...I will have to youtube that later on tongiht. You take care
Nilla

Thom said...

You forgot to mention about the toilet in your bathroom that sprung a leak abou the same time the laptop died. And how "Mr-Fixit-I-had-a-B&B-for-8-years-I-can-fix-anything" took only three weeks to replace a couple of bolts... sharing a bathroom AND a laptop... how DID we get through it???