About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Vacation I: The Games That Bind Us Together

Some might say that spending a week with one's family is an ordeal. They envision bickering, fighting, and old wounds surfacing in puss-like fashion. Not my family. We like being together. Yes, there are hiccups in the road but in the end everyone can be found sharing a mutual love...of games.





One thing you must know about my family is that we enjoy playing games: card games, board games, party games, outdoor games, pub games, or active sports. We revel in the participation, the comradery, the competition. Young or old, by birth or by marriage the rhythm & realm of participation reaches out even to the most wary.

One of the games brought out of mothballs this time was Strategic Command. This predesessor to Stratego & Battleship has been in the family for somewhere around 40 years. Tragedy almost struck when my brother forgot to take it out of the back of his pickup truck, remembering it the next morning after an evening of torrential rains. Underterred by the opportunity to share this treasure with new generations, valiant EMT-like rescue work (complete with telephone books & paper towels) was performed by my brothers.

Games also provide my family to laugh (at ourselves and each other). During an exceedingly high spirited game of Catchphrase there were many opportunities to roar.

Mom: Oh geez! I don't know what it is, but I know it's Jewish!

The word she was trying to give clues for was "yeti." Funny, I didn't realize the abominable snowman had made his bar mitzvah.

Oh yes...we can laugh! Sometimes to the point of wheezing, snorting, or peeing in our pants.

I love my family and I love the games that we play.

1 comment:

Claire Uncorked said...

I'm glad that you're able to enjoy your family so much. For those of us that can't fathom spending a full day with them, it's very interesting. I won't say that I'm necessarily jealous - my life is great as is - but I think it's wonderful for you.

Your mom sounds like a hoot!!!