About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oh Titus, My Itis!

I haven't been myself for some time now. You see, when we were on the gulf coast, celebrating my mother's 80th birthday, I developed something I had never experienced...an earache. It was debilitating.

My left ear throbbed. Sensory audibility languished. It seemed I had become a conch, hearing the ocean in my head. With one ear hopelessly out of commission, the remaining amplifier did just that...every sound seemed to be coming out of a newly upgraded theatrical sound system. Not the best combination when surrounded by loud children. Just what is it that provides little girls with the ultimate in shrieky voices?

It was murder. Or better, it was miraculous that I murdered no one.

Returning home completely miserable, I caved and went to the doctor. The homeopathic crap for earaches and swimmer's ear drop had done nothing to alleviate the constant pain with periodic excruciation. Now I understand why children scream constantly when facing this affliction. Following the visit, I found myself armed with cortisone drops and antibiotics. Praise Jesus for medication!

Two more weeks have passed. The pain is gone, but the hearing is still not where it should be. I probably should go to the doctor again, but with the current financial atmosphere I don't want to take more time off. So I continue to try some drops for removing ear wax build up (there's probably enough in there to make a pillar candle) and make it through the days at work...barely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in Audiology courses, I learned that apple cider vinegar is supposed to be pretty helpful with breaking down and easing earwax out of your ear, so you might give that a try. Just get a little dropper tool and squeeze a few drops in every morning and night. At the very least, if it doesn't help, it shouldn't hurt any.

Claire Uncorked said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! I know all too well how horrible earaches can be. Luckily, I haven't had problems in a very long time. I hope you get better soon!