About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Marriage on the Rocks


Sad. It really is the only descriptive word necessary for this moment in time.

Maine voters went to the polls yesterday and repealed an enacted law that allowed gays and lesbians to marry. What makes this turn of events particularly difficult to swallow is the fact that my partner and I had talked about getting married there this coming summer (he used to live in Bar Harbor for seven years).

All we want is to be able to quantify our relationship. We already wear rings on our fingers. We believe we are married in God’s eyes (please, if you have differing opinion, don’t roll yours). But our love for each other doesn’t provide us with the benefits our heterosexual friends receive due to their having one single sheet of paper…a marriage certificate. Think about this: Without that sheet of paper I have nothing; no legal standing to keep me in my home or pass along property; no visitation rights or medical decision-making in the event of a catastrophe.

I am saddened that there are still so many people out there who truly believe that marriage is to be reserved for a man and a woman. Their convictions—often based on scripture—drive them to believe that giving homosexuals the opportunity (I don’t want to call it a right) to marry will somehow degrade the sanctity of marriage. It seems to me that a better use of time for marriage activists is to prop up heterosexual marriages, too many of which end in divorce.

I can only shake my head in wonder as to how some people can interpret the union of a loving couple as degrading the sanctity of marriage. In my opinion, it can only enhance.

No matter how you slice it, those defending the sanctity of marriage and protecting the status quo are guilty of discrimination. Definitely, NOT something the Jesus would do.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Amen to that. Recently, the talk is 'domestic partnerships', but I wonder why we should create a separate system for something that already is in place and, for all intents and purposes (and at the very least, on paper), works just fine.

Sure, we can get powers of attorney and what have you, but that doesn't make it any easier to get spousal benefits from jobs, and that's a whole lot of paperwork to be had where, as you said so well, a marriage certificate would be the only piece of paper you need.

Here's hoping things look up for us very soon...

joetalk said...

Very well done Dave. I find it interesting that we allow the massess to vote on a civil right issue. I wonder what today would look like if we'd have allowed the public to vote on civil rights issues in the 60's . . .

Claire Uncorked said...

I've been sitting on this...mostly because I'm horrified.

I have nothing more to say other than Doug & I are 100% behind all couples in love being able to marry, no matter what their "circumstances, & we're both terribly sorry for this setback.

Hang tough....slowly, but surely, this is going to happpen.