About Me

My photo
Wilton Manors, Florida
Just a middle-aged Peter Pan, who refuses to give up softball, DisneyWorld, and loving life with his partner.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Geek Chic


Yes, it is now fashionable to be a geek. Inspired by actors in television shows such as Chuck and Reaper, technological hipsters have come to the forefront of trendiness. It is now cool to be considered a geek. They can even be transformed from the misanthropic to the swarthy on Beauty and the Geek.

Geeks can easily be spotted in their natural habitats: technology stores and internet cafes. You will not recognize them by telltale markings like spots or stripes. No, geekis americanis is recognized by its somewhat disheveled appearance, as if they awoke from a long night of online surfing and threw on a number of items from the pile next to the best (they love to layer).

Like most popular prey, they tend to run in herds. Careful, though, for they can be spooked by even the slightest flirtatious smile.

Geekdom--contrary to popular belief--is not located in the Realm of Nerd. You will find no plastic pocket protectors among its denizens, which include Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.

Being a geek has become so popular that rednecks and metrosexuals are flocking to the internet to learn more on how to become the geek next door.

Leading the way in this new fashion trend are four unlikely trailblazers...the boys from Big Bang Theory: Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Rajesh. From Howard's belt buckles to Sheldon's shirts, they are setting the stage for geek wannabes around the country. I ask you...who doesn't want to wear a Green Lantern or Periodic Table of the Elements tshirt?

I know I do...Though secretly, I'd rather have Sheldon's flying bats tshirt...but its been discontinued! Dammit!!

6 comments:

Thom said...

My inner geek is hardly a secret. I may not layer clothing (who does down here?) and I can still be a brand whore, but the geek within is alive and well. I worked for HP, the ultimate geek company, and I continue to make a career (literally) out of it my techno-geek skills.

So, I can name the major moons of all the planets... so what?

Sheldon is my new hero.

Thom said...

...and sometimes, I can even write... sheesh - AND I continue to make a career out of my techno-geek skills - is what it is supposed to say. Editing - how geeky...

Claire Uncorked said...

It's funny - being a geek of any kind was the worst possible thing when I was growing up.

While I know a thing or 2 about computers, I certainly don't come close to the techno-geeks of the world. That's ok.

I do, however, think I'm well on my way to becoming a wine geek. I say I'm well on my way because I know TRUE wine geeks, & again, I don't come close.

Ah, but how I aspire....

jainey said...

they sell great Flash shirts like that at Urban Outfitters all the time. do they have one in lauderdale?

Blue Ice Dave said...

Thom-Your outer geek is only part of your attractiveness.

Claire- Somehow you reminded me of a tshirt I bought my brother once...it had a wine goblet with the writing "Well Red" on it.

Jainey- I knew I could count on you. Though the tshirt I really want is aquaman. We do have Urban Outfitters not too far away, but more often than not they fail to carry items in BIG BOY sizes.

Anonymous said...

....and hot geeks like us created the trend...now EVERYONE wants to be us. :) How are you? It's good to see you blogging in indie land. I hope you and Thom are doing well. I miss both of you!